Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What Inspired Me to Write Naked in the Rain and Afterglow

That is not an easy question to answer. Today I will address one aspect. I’m sure there are many subconscious reasons in addition to what I write about today, and I may address this more in future blogs.

One of the biggest inspirations for Brian O’Kelly, the main character in Naked in the Rain and Afterglow, was Brian Molko (that's him in the photo to the left) of the alternative rock group, Placebo. Giant DISCLAIMER: This is not to imply at all that Mr. Molko’s life mirrors the life of my character.

Back in 1998, I first learned of Placebo when they appeared on MTV’s alternative program as guests. I really enjoyed the music, so I bought their “Without You I’m Nothing” album (quickly followed by buying their debut album, “Placebo”).

I didn’t know anything about Placebo other than their music. The lyrics really caught my attention, because they are openly bisexual – singing about relationships with both men and women. As a bisexual person myself, this certainly piqued my interest.

Those lyrics mulled around in my subconscious for a year or so. I was intrigued by Brian Molko, but still didn’t really know anything about him beyond the music, videos and photos. So – as is my way with my ever-creative mind – I made stuff up. This is when the story of Naked in the Rain and Afterglow started to form.

Again – a disclaimer that by no means do I imply that Brian Molko is in any way Brian O’Kelly from my books. However, this is how the character of Brian O’Kelly ended up with gorgeous blue eyes, dark hair, and musical talent – though I’m not sure I could write a book without a strong musical element, as music has always been so important in my life.

To get an idea of how Brian Molko influenced the story in a physical way, take a look at the video for “Pure Morning” – which was shown that fateful night in 1998 when Placebo were guests on MTV.

The photo at the top of this post is another visual of Mr. Molko that obviously influenced my books when Brian O’Kelly does the “girl thing” – even down to the pose with the cigarette from the opening scene in Naked in the Rain.

You might ask, why did the character Brian O’Kelly end up as a high-class prostitute? That is a good question, one I’m not sure I can answer, but I may try in future blogs…

Do you want to read more about inspirations? About Placebo? Tell me what you want to read about -- leave a comment!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 10, 2010 at 10:35 PM , Blogger KirstenM said...

I actually saw this yesterday but there was nowhere to leave comments. I had forgotten all about Placebo - long time ago! Are they still around?

 
At March 10, 2010 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Eowyn Wood said...

Yes, Placebo is still very much around. They had a new album last year ("Battle for the Sun") -- great stuff! They tour a lot -- I've seen them in Portland a bunch of times. They're great live. They were supposed to come here (last Sept., I think) to support the new album. We bought tickets, but then the North American tour was canceled (or postponed, rather) because Brian Molko had collapsed onstage. Supposedly due to recovering from a cold, jet lag, exhaustion, etc. Anyway - point is, they didn't come, and haven't rescheduled yet. Disappointing! I really was looking forward to seeing the new songs live. But I'm sure they'll be back one of these days... Thanks for the comment!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home